Tuesday, November 26, 2013

'Neurons' papercuttings

In the summer of 2012,  I got accepted to the Ann Arbor Summer Art Fair for the first time, and I was there I met a woman who was a graduate student in neuroscience at Michigan.  She was interested in commissioning a piece from me with a general theme of 'neurons' and left the details up to my imagination.  I played with sketches till I found something that I was happy with, got her approval on the design, and cut it and sold the piece to her.  I cut the pattern a second time, and sold that one as well.


I next decided to design an art card (2.5" x 3.5") with a similar theme:


Couple months later, she contacted me again and asked if I was willing to design another piece for her on the same theme, but double layered.  It sounded like a fun idea, so I did so.  Similarly, the second cutting from that pattern sold shortly after.

So I designed Neurons III- another layered piece.  And sold both editions of that one in fairly quick succession this past summer.

Neurons IV (layered again) is currently in my sketchbook under development.  I am hoping to have the patterns finished to my satisfaction within the next couple months.

No comments: