I finished carving this piece a while ago, but just now got around to photographing it. I was not juried in for wood for any of my summer shows, so the papercuttings have been my primary focus the last couple months.
This piece was carved into a very unusual piece of cypress driftwood that I picked up on Ebay a number of years ago. It was a total guess on my part- I fell in love with the shape of the driftwood but had no idea if standard cypress lumber was even semi-decent carving material. It worked really well though- still a little sticky, but not nearly as soft as the cypress knees I have worked with before. I tried to interfere with the shape of the piece as little as possible when carving the faces into it..